Where In The World Is...?

Last Friday, I finally had a chance to go down to the United States – India Educational Foundation (USIEF) offices and meet in person the two people who have been handling most of my correspondence as a Fulbright-Nehru grantee since before I landed in Mumbai. Typically I would have visited the USIEF offices the first day I was here, but I’m situated quite far away, and one of the officers kindly met me at my hotel to go through my initial orientation. This excursion was also my first chance to visit one of the more iconic areas of Mumbai, Colaba, where the Gateway of India and the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel are situated. Fortunately I had a “local” friend go with me to show me around and guide me through my first ride on the commuter train system.
Gateway of India and the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel
In 2008, there was a coordinated terrorist attack in Mumbai in 2008 at six highly trafficked areas in around the city. I inadvertently visited two of the attack sites, the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel and Café Leopold (I’ll leave it to you to look up the reporting from around the world).

Colaba Causeway is a popular shopping area for the dedicated “haggler” to peruse everything from tchotchke (knick-knacks) souvenirs to shoes, clothing and more. Stalls line the sidewalk alongside more traditional stores in a combined bazaar-street mall. Once again I am reminded of downtown Kingston, Jamaica, from my childhood on account of the colorful crafts, the mix of local and foreign brands, and grimy, humid feel of the air in the press of the crowd. My friend treated me to lunch in Café Leopold and showed me where they had preserved the bullet holes from the attacks ten years ago. I overheard a young Australian tourist commenting on getting to see the bullet holes and eat in the café as a “bucket list” item for him. I’m always torn about the “sideshow attraction” nature of tragedy and its role in commerce.
Colaba and bullet holes in window of Cafe Leopold
After lunch in Colaba we ventured to the Churchgate train terminus, and it was deliberately planned that we would be travelling well outside of peak times. Still I did learn a few critical details about commuter train travel. As related to me by my friend, if you are buying a first class ticket you can cut the line of those waiting to buy second class tickets, though I would be loathe to assume that I could tell who was buying which class of ticket. Then each car is labeled for class, and if they are for Ladies Only by class. I have actually seen the trains during rush hours with people hanging out of the doorways as while barreling along the tracks. Which led me to realize that the doors don’t get closed while the trains are moving. I was also struck by the similarities in the designs of the station hangar ceilings with the metal handle grid in the train cars. And lastly, it is an honor system of tickets/passes the where tickets are randomly checked. The only struck me as interesting, given that there are security checkpoints to enter most buildings and shopping malls, while getting onto the trains is open entry.
Commuter train from Churchgate station in South Mumbai
By complete coincidence, I ended up returning to Colaba the next day to meet with my friend, Luisa, for lunch at the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel. She lives in Mexico, but is vacationing around India with her daughter and had a long layover in Mumbai while traveling from Aurangabad to Jaipur. I have not seen Luisa in years, and it was heartwarming to reconnect here in India by happenstance. We would never have coordinated our lunch except for email and some spotty texting access, and I was reminded of what it used to be like to travel without cellphones, texting abilities, or GPS mapping. We set a time and place to meet, and for the most part had to simply believe in our competence at negotiating travel as foreigners. Long before cell phones, I remember spending two days in Lima, Peru for two days meeting every flight from California, USA because a friend’s original flight was cancelled and we had no way to communicate where I was staying or when he would be arriving.
Catching up with Luisa at the Taj Palace Hotel
Sunday was the final day of Ganesh Chaturthi, and it did not fail to live up to the stories I had been told of crowds processing late into the night with music and ceremony. Ultimately, the Ganpati are carried to the sea bound for immersion in the waters along with all sorts of offerings. At the same time, locals and environmentalists have been struggling with the pollution and marine life that is killed by the poisonous and non-biodegradable materials used and then thrown into the seas and rivers. As anyone that knows me is aware, I am not a big fan of crowds, and had no real desire to venture out into the streets following the call of the street bands and music. But I was able to watch the endless ocean of humanity passing by from my apartment windows. It is pretty amazing to watch not only the crowds, but the sheer size of some Ganesha statues, and then to imagine them being immersed in the ocean and being left there to come and go with the tides.
I was pretty in awe of the size of the Ganpati being paraded down the streets outside my building.
There is so much I can’t imagine ever knowing or understanding about the culture, language and life of this city and country. But certainly my sensibilities have been challenged to observe how I respond to or notice differences and similarities to the life I have lived to date. Happily I have finally connected with someone that is willing to tutor me in the basics of Hindi, and it is a language about which I have never done any study or attempted to speak. I have come to believe that language often reflects how a culture interacts, and in some very general ways, how a native language can reflect how one thinks about the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks to Paul Taylor and William J. Fulbright.

Writing Challenges Me...

On The Ground In India