The Good, The Bad, the Binge and Karma

Okay, it is Wednesday here in India, and the past week has been filled with some pretty good stories. I met with and connected with fascinating people, realized that my teaching is evolving in response to the culture and the students in my classes, visited previously “un-thought-of” places new to me that are centuries old, and discovered a few answers to questions I did not realize I should have been asking. At the same time, I feel like I’m falling behind on a couple of fronts, one is getting this week’s blog post done and the other is my intent to learn a little Hindi. I know there is no imperative on either count, but they have helped me anchor my perspective of time and context during this adventure.
Photo taken by Sagar on our boat ride on the Yamuna River.
 By the way, my definition of an adventure is when you find yourself wondering to yourself, “what the #@$% were you thinking that landed you where you are?!!” Only to follow up with a great anecdote-tale retelling afterwards!
Boat launch near Yamuna Devi Temple
Then of course there is the challenge to balance my energies on a day-to-day basis so that I feel like I am taking advantage of the opportunities available to me while I am in India. I can be compulsive, and I know it is crucial for me to take breaks from any activity where I lose track of time. In the studio I am constantly vigilant about trying to pace class and rehearsals to fit the schedule and the focus of the dancers. But when meeting new people, writing, preparing the next day’s projects, taking pictures, or even shopping for necessities, I find myself lost in time. So I use “background” noise that has a proscribed duration to keep me aware of how much time I have spent in an activity. 

In Delhi, there is no TV for me to use as background noise or occasional distraction. So I log onto Hulu and watch “This Is Us”, to regulate the length of breaks I take from other things. The danger for me is getting caught up in the storylines and watching the next episode… I think binge watching goes with being compulsive. Ironically, growing up in Jamaica has tinted my perspective on life in ways I am still discovering, and watching a show based in the USA while I’m in India, just makes the characters and their environment seem all the more like a fairytale. I do love fairytales, but I don’t think that is quite the intent of the series.
with Santosh Nair (on my left) and his dancers
Everyone to whom I have been introduced, mostly by email or text (WhatsApp is definitely the most preferred “Instant Message” (IM) platform in India), has been incredibly generous in meeting with me. Last week alone, I met with five different people whom are integral to the institutions to which they are affiliated. I’ll make note of people and places when I have news to put them in context, otherwise this will become like some weird genealogical listing of names. Remembering who put me in touch with whom and to which organization an individual is associated is still quite challenging for me to keep track of myself. At least, I am feeling more settled in Delhi and I am fairly comfortable (after my third solo excursion) shopping for fruit and sundries. I even got a haircut! It’s funny how that feels like a huge accomplishment to me.

Beyond just meeting to introduce myself and to find out more about the extensive dance scene in Delhi, I am learning more about the competitive culture of training dancers and running companies/studios in India. Based in a centuries old tradition of guru and devotee, very few dance teachers work for multiple training academies, as you might find in the “open class” system in New York City, where students jump from studio to studio to follow certain teachers. Similarly this becomes true of the dance students as well, where they train exclusively under a single guru or at one institution.

All of this said, I am very grateful to Ashley Lobo and his Danceworx academies in Mumbai and Delhi for welcoming me, based solely on a reference from the US-India Educational Foundation (USIEF) that oversees my Fulbright-Nehru grant. Having a chance to work consistently with different levels of students over the weeks I am here is allowing us time to explore different approaches to learning and dancing so that every dancer has a chance to find their own sense of achievement and growth. And I hope the directors and staff find my presence supportive of their goals with the dancers.

For the dancers who may never have a chance to travel outside of India, or be able to afford to see in person, the rare appearance of a ballet company or Western contemporary dance company locally, it is hard to conceive how movement they see on YouTube videos might actually feel in their own bodies. I remember being the only boy on the island of Jamaica taking ballet classes at one point, and my teacher, Punkie Facey, trying to explain advanced grand allegro steps to me that were not in the syllabus for the girls. In my day there were no videos to watch, and conceptualizing a step and movement I had never seen was a feat of will power. At a certain point, when I could do a new “step” I started to find the rhythm inside of the action or complicated technical feat and just imagined that what I was doing was correct. After all, I could successfully execute the step repeatedly, and my teacher moved on to teach me new movement vocabulary. For the dancers here, I have been getting them to improvise how they think a piece of classical music would make them move and usually it’s pretty close to the ballet or modern “step” I want them to perform. If they understand the “heartbeat” of a movement, it is pretty easy for me to refine the finesse of the execution. Sadly, I feel like my ability to demonstrate certain things has “moved on from this life.” So I am challenging the young dancers to imagine the unimaginable.
Prakriti at Triveni Kala Sangam


Shridarani Gallery at Triveni
Visiting Triveni Kala Sangam and the India International Centre was suggested by a longtime associate of mine from the San Francisco Bay Area, Renee, who is friends with some of the most esteemed classical Indian dance gurus based in Delhi. I will definitely write more about these institutions as I will be returning to them very soon for a variety of events. But it was such a pleasure to wander the various galleries and grounds of Triveni Kala Sangam and contemplate my own views of what I find most distinctive about an Indian aesthetic in Art and architecture.

On Sunday, I was invited to join my friend, Sumeet, at a location shoot in Vrindavan, for a Bollywood musical movie that he is working on as choreographer. Vrindavan is about a three-hour drive South of Delhi on the banks of the Yamuna River which also runs by the Taj Mahal in Agra. It is known for its many temples and as the childhood home of Lord Krishna which factors into much of the mythology for which different temples were built. 
Cows, Cars, Cycles, Trucks, Busses and Auto-Rickshaws
On the road to Vrindavan and the roadside "vehicle tax payment center!"
View from the highway in Uttar Pradesh
I decided I would hire a car and driver for the day, and my liaison at Danceworx here in Delhi, Sagar, kindly offered to accompany me on the excursion. He had arranged the driver, Mr. Kamlesh, whom I think is a friend of his. Sagar’s company would be fortuitous in bridging my language deficiency in a few crucial moments. The first was in getting me out to the Yamuna River by auto-rickshaw where he negotiated the fare for us, as there was a possibility that cars were not allowed in the area I wanted to visit. Then he asked if I wanted to go out on a boat ride, which the “water tiger” in me always wants to do, and again he negotiated the cost, and I used my “privileged tourist” resources to hire the whole boat for the two of us, rather than wait for other visitors to fill the boat. In this particular area of Vrindavan I did not see many foreigners around, and the mostly Indian tourists who were deciding if they wanted to go on a boat ride did not seem anxious to join us. Large bodies of water really do bring me a sense of calm, even when I have been in life-threatening situations. And on this day, the boat ride was the perfect prophylactic panacea. 
Sumeet was late arriving in Delhi, and thus I had time on my hands to sightsee with Sagar and the Mr. Kamlesh, and ultimately, I also had to find my own lunch. Sagar to the rescue once again. My only quirk about my interactions in India is the social divide between the privileged who “have means” and those that “serve.” I could not convince Sagar and Mr. Kamlesh to eat lunch with me, and so I went into a restaurant they found for me, and had lunch on my own. I randomly ordered one of the dosa selections, a vegetarian tikka masala and steamed rice. It is nice that since a large proportion of India’s population is vegetarian, the first question when being asked about having a meal is, “Do you want veg or non-veg?” The second question is, “Do you like spicy?” Fortunately I am happy with spicy food and I am not usually desperate to eat non-veg all the time. The seasonal vegetables and wide range of beans used in Indian cuisine are spectacularly delicious and filling dishes.
rehearsal
Three hours later than scheduled, I finally got to meet up with Sumeet, and I chuckled to myself that my friend Kim, in New York City, had jokingly said she would be looking out for any “Taylor” moves turning up in Bollywood films. I have no connection to this film other than knowing the choreographer, but I have been teaching classes to his company. Location film shoots are pretty much the same everywhere, there is a lot of set up and preparation, blocking and testing camera shots, and in this case there were multiple takes with different camera setups: a steady cam, a stationary camera, a drone camera, and the multiple lens options. And I was happy to just sit by and observe. The unique aspect of this particular shoot was that it took place inside the temple courtyard sanctuary of ISKCON (International Society of Krishna Consciousness) Vrindavan where cameras are not generally allowed, and this was the first time this temple was allowing a commercial production shoot to take place. However, it was also being shot during some of the busiest times while the temple was open to the public. I don’t envy the production assistants who kept pleading with visitors to the temple to focus on the temple and not the goings on of the film shoot, and then keeping said visitors out of camera-shot. Oh the magic of film editing and multiple camera viewpoints. The lead actress was surrounded by trained Odissi dancers, and she had a hard time keeping up. But the few playbacks I saw made her look pretty good.
ISKCON Vrindavan
Now comes my personal “Indian” tale. I had been brought onto “set” by Sumeet as they were setting up for rehearsal in the temple sanctuary where shoes are not allowed to be worn. So we dropped our shoes right outside the entrance to the temple. I never left the temple for the next four hours, until I was ready to leave. As I exited with Sumeet, I mentioned that I needed to get my sandals. They were nowhere to be found. Sumeet explained to me that “flipping” (throwing away) shoes left outside of temples was a common practice, and in his youth, he would sometimes find some other person’s shoes and wear them, if his went missing. He had actually left the temple snctuary earlier and moved his shoes to one of the “shoe-check” kiosks near the entrance to the temple complex, but had not thought about the fact that my shoes were still loitering next to where his had been.

The truth of the matter was that I did not really mind that I had lost my shoes. I was happy that I had my own driver waiting to bring me back to my door step in Delhi, so I would only be barefooted for a short walk (or so I imagined) outside to find the car. Still, Sumeet insisted the he give me his shoes, and we went to the kiosk where he had left his. Sumeet then asked the “shoe-keeper” for his shoes, but also whether there were any foreign looking shoes that had been dropped for safekeeping. Lo and behold, the shoe-keeper produced a pair of Croc sandals that looked just like mine. I tried them on and they fit like Cinderella’s slippers. In the back of my mind I thought that this was just too easy, but I was tired and it was getting late if I wanted to be back in Delhi before midnight. I remember also being struck by the fact that I did not recall the Croc lettering on my shoes being blue, and again I rationalized that nowhere else in India had I been seeing any Croc sandals in the style I was wearing, and these were my size, if a little more comfortable than I remembered. 

However, I did notice there were a lot of foreigners in Vridavan and in the temple. I was told that a lot of Russians, Australians, Europeans and a few Americans seeking enlightenment have settled in Vrindavan worshipping or living at the ISKCON temple. 

As I left the temple to meet up with Sagar and then walk to where Mr. Kamlesh had parked. It was early evening, and the street was packed with cars, rickshaws, motorcycles, carts and people: hawkers, beggars, families visiting myriad temples that line the main road for three or four kilometers. Typically temples are open in the mornings and then again after four in the afternoon until around eight or nine at night. But it is at night that the temples come to life, many of the commercially successful ones like ISKCON have restaurants, bakeries and snack counters, and the temples themselves are lit with bright colored lights while some temples boast animatronic models of Krishna and other mythological tales to the delight of younger and older visitors alike. I was glad I was not walking barefooted.

Once back in Delhi, I started reviewing my pictures from the day’s adventures, and I noticed a picture taken of me where my sandals clearly had orange lettering, not blue! I did indeed have someone else’s shoes, with no easy way to return them or even to find out to whom they belonged. I even wondered if I dared to write about this, when I was feeling so guilty that I had “walked off in someone else’s shoes,” and maybe left them to find their way barefooted. Was I going to suffer some kind of karmic payback for my lack of conscientious attention to recognizing my own shoes? I had thought they were more comfortable than I remembered, and discovered that they are a half-size larger than mine.

The next morning I texted Sumeet about my discovery. He messaged me back that the shoe-keeper had heard from the real owner of the shoes, and they found mine at the shoe-kiosk on the other side of the temple grounds. So this other foreign tourist wore my shoes and left. Was Lord Krishna blessing me with a more comfortable shoe, or punishing the other man with walking “home” in a half-size smaller shoe?
More cows, sugar cane press, vegetable cart and skeletons of tree and temple.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks to Paul Taylor and William J. Fulbright.

Writing Challenges Me...

On The Ground In India