Death, Life and Art.

The Royal Opera House, Mumbai
This week in particular, I have come to think of Art as giving humanity a perspective beyond the binary of the living and the dead in a way that does not demand blind faith. Philosophically, Homo Sapiens have struggled with the fact that we have developed language and reasoning beyond daily survival and the biological needs that we have classified as emotions. Seeing dance performed live by accomplished dancers in work by skilled choreographers can transcend the experience of witnessing a piece of theatre, and cannot be easily explained in words. For me, Art can transport me out of a physical reality of awareness of where I might be sitting or standing, but for this to happen, I have noticed that there are a confluence of externalities that contribute to such transcendence.
The proscenium, the performers and two choreographers.
In a unique Indo-Polish dance performance at the Royal Opera House in Mumbai, the Navdhara India Dance Theatre and Zawirowania Dance Theatre from Poland presented a collaborative show of shared choreographic voices and dancers from each side. Obviously I have a certain bias as I have personal connections to the performers and choreographers since the Indian contingent are my hosts under my Fulbright-Nehru Fellowship. Yet the impact of seeing the work in performance was revelatory beyond the magic that took place on stage. Even as the creative approaches may have been literally a world apart, the evening in total was cohesive and well balanced between gravitas, insightful perspectives and humor, for me as an audience.
"1989" solo by Bharat Sharma, performed by Subhasish Dey on which I commented in my previous post.
I do my best to treat everything I go to see with as little pre-judgement as I can. This can range from resisting the urge to read a program or doing “research” beforehand by looking at reviews and written articles, to simply trying to be observant about how I might be preoccupied with events from my day leading up to the moment where I am standing in front of a sculpture or watching a curtain rise, or some such entrĂ©e to being an Art audience. Then I try to stay with the work of Art in front of me as best I can.

Admittedly, there are times when my attention has wavered at performances, and I may even nod off. Yet, even with that reality, I might still experience a moment like no other before in my life. Don’t get me wrong, it is an extremely rare occurrence that such moments are sustained throughout a performance for me. What I am talking about may only be for an instant.
Left: cover of video documentary about Douglas Wright. Right: Neil Marcus and me on our last project in 2011.
So enough with the pre-amble, this week I learned of Douglas Wright’s death from cancer at only 62, adding to a disturbingly long list of people whose lives have ended in the last twelve months, who have touched my life through dance and art. No matter how limited the intersection might have been while alive, I might well not be teaching, coaching or living my life in the field of dance today without the impact of their lives. I did not know Douglas well, and only saw him dance on film. But I did have a couple of opportunities to meet him in person. Maybe more importantly, I have worked with many dancers and creative artists that had much more intimate connections with Douglas, and the influence of his life may have once changed and shaped the course of contemporary dance in New Zealand. At least that is my perspective on the matter.

Social media also reminded me of artistes still actively creating work; Neil Marcus’s “Storm Reading” celebrated the thirtieth anniversary of its creation and ensuing tour by Access Theatre. Neil and his play probably changed a lot of the way people with “disabilities” were perceived in the Arts in the USA, and he was amongst the early creative forces where Art created by people with disabilities both became accepted in more mainstream Art definitions while also gaining legitimacy as a category onto itself as Disability Arts. Having met Neil in the late 1980’s, I renewed our connection to work together in 2011 when I was completing my Masters of Fine Arts degree.

In my opinion, both Douglas and Neil helped change the landscape and perspective for broad populations of performers, creators and audiences in different parts of the world. I feel their influences in my own points of view on my work here in India. A recent conversation with some young teachers I am mentoring and a more senior artistic staff made me look at something I had not thought about carefully in my own teaching. Their comments were on my “positive” attitude and “patience” with dancers of all levels in my classes. When I thought about why they may have had this perception, my response was that I spend most of my energy focused on what the dancers in front of me are actually doing, rather than what I want them to do.

Teaching for me here in India, is a lot about setting “tasks” and seeing how well the dancers achieve an acceptable result for both themselves and for what I hoped to achieve by the “task.” If the dancers find the task incomprehensible, then I rethink what are the basic principles they need to achieve the skill, intent, musicality or form I am hoping to open in their approach to movement. So I don’t ever blame a student for not knowing how to achieve what I am giving, instead, I look to see that they are making an effort to change based on a critique. Most of the students are eager to make such adjustments, but not all of them can do it without my finding the right tools to help them learn how! So if impatience comes into my teaching, it is generally with myself at not finding the right tools to get through to every student in class.

On more mundane note, it has taken me most of the past week to get back into some kind of rhythm of work, nourishment, chores and rest. My time in Delhi definitely gave me a different perspective of how a chest cold and air pollution don’t play well together, and Mumbai has the benefit of being a coastal city where the potential moisture off of the Arabian Sea helps to pull some of the particulates out of the air. And obviously, as news circulates that the San Francisco Bay Area currently suffers from air pollution worse that Beijing or Delhi, both of where I have been in hazardous periods, I feel great empathy.

While I was away, a new high-end food store and eatery opened across the street from my apartment. It is a “pure-veg” (I still find it fascinating that food establishments in India are universally categorized as “vegetarian” and “non-vegetarian”) store with different counters for drinks, prepared foods, and everything from Indian delicacies to oatmeal cookies. Culturally I had a hard time with the fact that there are more servers and floor “concierges” that clients, and they are trained to offer you help and samples at every turn you make. But I fought my instinct to leave rather than browse (not in peace) their offerings, and I will definitely be back to sample more of their wares.
A Catholic wedding in India.
Last Sunday, I was invited to the wedding of one of the staff at Danceworx, and I did not realize it would be a Roman Catholic wedding, but I was glad I opted to wear a suit, rather than my less formal options. Having been raised Roman Catholic, I was familiar with the sequence of events, but surprised at a few small differences that I think must have evolved a little differently in India than in Jamaica or the USA after the Second Vatican Council (Vatican II) was instituted in 1959. Some of the wording of the prayers and responses were subtly different (I presume this is to match the form of English and grammar taught in India). In India, the wedding festivities for Catholic weddings appear to be the reverse to what I have encountered in the past. Here the activities all seemed to come first, the introduction of the wedding party and the bride & groom, then the cutting of the cake, then the toasts with slices of cake and a beverage to toast, then the entertainment and dancing while food became available. The bride and groom seemed thrilled with the evening, and I was very flattered to be invited. Most of the Indians I have met seem to enjoy a good party. However, I have to admit my “party-quotient” does saturate much quicker than most of my friends, and I was probably one of the first guests to head home.
If you don't recognize this screenshot, you haven't been on social media for the last couple of months. Noah and PJ lend their fame to promoting the "It Gets Better Project." You can donate to their fundraiser here!
Speaking about weddings, a good friend and associate at Paul Taylor Dance, got married to his longtime partner, back in the USA about a month ago, and I did not have a chance to attend their wedding. However, their “first dance” video on YouTube went viral and they have turned their new found notoriety into a positive cause with asking for donations from their viewers to the “It Gets Better Project.” I think this is an amazing way to affect change when one gains a far-reaching platform like “viral” fame. However, adjunct to this initiative, I found out that a local affiliate, "It Gets Better India", has been started since the legal de-criminalization of homosexuality in India earlier this year. While the phrase “it gets better” is representative in this charity, started by Dan Savage and Terry Miller, to empower LGBTQ youth to know that life is both a matter of perspective and that nothing stays the same forever, I have found these words to be essential in dealing with young artists whose passion seems to have so little opportunity, if they don’t match the mainstream of their institution or industry. Yet Art grows out of passion for both that which is, and that which is not, usually in line with the common assumptions about a subject or aesthetic. And many times it is only time which can give perspective to the necessary dreams and daring of youth.

As I view exciting social media posts from younger associates of mine in dance and the paddlesports industries, I have stopped imagining myself doing those activities alongside of them. Instead I am finding joy in reading about their adventures, and excitement for them as they make their own impact and legacies in the world through their passion for what they do in life. As I continue to venture from one project to the next since retiring from the performing, maybe this is what “It gets better” means for me as I live alongside the accomplishments of those around me, and the legacy left to me by those who have died.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Challenges Me...

Thanks to Paul Taylor and William J. Fulbright.

On The Ground In India